Intensive English students receive second language instruction at ten designated sites:
Designated Sites with TESOL Teachers
• Grades K-6: Martin L. King Elementary School
• Grades K-6: Taft Elementary School
• Grades 9-12: East High School
Designated Site with Support Staff - Educational Assistants• Grades K-6: W. H. McGuffey Elementary School
• Grades 3-8: Discovery Program @ Kirkmere
• Grades 7-8: DTTC Program @ Volney
• Grades 6-12: Chaney Campus -VPA/STEM Program
Other Sites as Needed
• Grades K-6: Harding Elementary School
• Grades K-6: P. C. Bunn Elementary School
• Grades K-6: Williamson Elementary School
Students are instructed by qualified personnel who are knowledgeable in the theory of second language acquisition. Students are clustered and mainstreamed in the regular classroom with native English speakers and are shadowed by Educational Assistants and/or TESOL (Teachers of English as a Second Language) teachers throughout the day.
The Intensive English staff supports the students and the mainstream teachers by utilizing and suggesting alternative methods of instruction. By modifying instructional strategies, the mainstream teacher is able to meet the needs of the English Language Learner, thus increasing comprehension of content and optimizing student performance.